Introducing 22Local! Buy discounted gift certificates that support our local businesses NOW, and save money when you redeem them later at your favorite shops, restaurants, lodging, and activities.
Concern about the economy is widespread.
It's worth remembering National Park visitation rebounded after the 1988 Yellowstone Fires, the September 11th tragedy, and the 2007/8 recession. We are a nation of travelers who value the crown jewels of America's National Parks. In time, visitors will return, and we will be ready. Looking long-term to 2021 we are not concerned.
However, it is still too hard to predict this Summer, the more medium-term. If we are successful in "flattening the curve" and lessening the impact on our community, it may take longer for the economy to recover, though we will have saved lives. We may even be welcoming visitors back this mid to late Summer. It is this short term - 1 to 3 months - where we now need to focus.
This is what shopping local looks like.
- Buy Local Online – Check local business websites; they are willing and able to order you what you want. Yes, it might take a few steps extra, perhaps a phone call, but that's an excellent opportunity for a conversation to get to know your retailers. The Chamber website has a directory if you need some suggestions.
- Shop Small – get personal and know who your suppliers are, build a relationship for the future
- Buy a Local Business Gift Card – think of it as a short-term loan to your favorite retailers (that you get to benefit from in the future).
- Leave a positive online review – this will help them in the future.
- Tag a local business – what did you buy? – share what you learned and tell others. Tag #shoplocaljh so others can see what you did
- Subscribe to local E-Newsletters – learn about the business and subscribers often get discounts
- Order and Pick Up Food Curbside – keep up the date nights, virtual friend nights, and treats as much as you can.
The Chamber in collaboration with partners are launching a shop local campaign to help support our local economy. Community members and business owners can participate by sharing your support online with the #shoplocaljh. Start supporting now and download this Chamber #shoplocaljh infographic infographic or create your own #shoplocajh infographic for your organization here.
Have local shopping experiences or ideas of your own? We would love to hear them, email email@example.com.