If you haven’t been feeling motivated to sweat during quarantine, don’t beat yourself up. But if you must, let’s at least make sure you have the muscles to do so. Keep reading…it’s possible the motivation you’ve needed all along is further down the page.
A number of gyms and workout studios have gotten incredibly creative in how they conduct business since the onset of Covid-19. Like the majority of businesses, they too, have closed their doors to the public to do their part in flattening the curve. This sudden and rapidly evolving shift in business is hardly surprising though. You see, endorphins are a very hard thing to quit cold turkey once you’ve experienced them.
Endorphins are feel-good neurotransmitters that are produced in the brain's hypothalamus and pituitary gland when we participate in physical activity; physical activity can be anything from running a marathon to doing a few yoga poses and everything in between. Endorphins act as a natural painkiller and have been proven to reduce stress, lower levels of high blood pressure, reduce anxiety levels, assist in better sleep patterns, ward off depression – the list goes on. Thankfully, local gyms have provided us with numerous avenues to access a variety of endorphin-producing workouts. And most of them don’t cost a thing.
- Akasha Yoga is continuing to offer yoga classes via Zoom. Details can be found on their Instagram account to find types of classes and times of classes each day. Go to the MindBody app to register for classes.
- Core Changes with Carey is offering 45-minute HIT (high intensity training) classes in addition to yoga. Register on the MindBody app. First class is free, and all classes take place via Zoom; classes are offered at a discounted rate. Once signed up, students will receive a link to sign on. Minimal equipment required. Email Carey directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Inversion Yoga is offering yoga classes daily via Zoom on a “pay as you can” scale. Using the MindBody app, you simply sign up for a class and choose the dollar amount you’d like to pay. Amounts are accepted in $5 increments from $5 - $20 to participate in a class. Promo codes are available for healthcare workers. Once registered on the MindBody app, students will receive a notification 30 minutes prior to the start of class with Zoom login instructions. All proceeds will help pay teachers and support the recent location change of Inversion Studio from N Milward to 260 W Pearl.
- Medicine Wheel Wellness is open and practicing the highest levels of screening and precautions prior to seeing any clients. Through their Virtual Movement Studio, their normal schedule has stayed relatively consistent with offerings including meditative breathwork, strength and conditioning, and dynamic neuromuscular stability among others. Classes take place via Zoom; visit their website to register.
- Orange Theory Jackson Hole is offering a wide variety of classes through their online portal which can be access through their website. All videos can also be found on their YouTube channel!
- PursueJH is offering daily WODs (Workout of the Day) requiring minimum equipment, taught by a variety of teachers. You can find these WODs on their Instagram account. Yoga, barre, cycling, strength and endurance and megaformer classes are also being offered and can be found on their YouTube channel.
- Trained to be Balanced is offering virtual classes that can be found directly on their website. From movement meditations to bodyweight circuits, to parent and kid workouts, you’ll find everything you need to get sweaty during quarantine!
- VIM is offering online classes via Zoom – first class is free. Offerings include cycling, strength and mobility, and barre. You can find additional classes available at no cost via YouTube. Bike and rowing machines are available for rent and online classes are free during the duration of your rental. VIM is also offering 2-for-1 workouts, available on Tuesdays and Thursdays!